The most common problem on campus
Without a doubt, the most common user issue we have on campus is students that do the following:
- Click a link to a Word document in their Gmail (or somewhere else on the web).
- When asked if they want to open of save the document, they select open.
- They work on the document for a couple of hours and then hit save.
- They log out.
The issue with this is that when you pick the open option in the open/save dialogue, the document gets downloaded into your “Temporary Internet Files” and then opened from there. It works, but Temporary Internet Files is a highly volatile place to store documents, in particular when Internet Explorer is set up to clear the folder when you log out (to keep roaming profile size to a minimum). In other words, the changes the student worked on are gone.
I don’t know how to solve this. I’m looking for a solution that does either of the following:
- Defaults to save and disables the open option for particular file types in Internet Explorer.
- Forces users to “save as” when the document has been “opened” through a browser.